Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
  • Home
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the Annual Town Election/Town Meeting held?
Generally during the month of May.  The Selectmen must set the dates every year prior to the end of February.  Traditionally the town meeting and town elections are held on Mondays (usually the 2nd and 3rd Mondays of May, the Town Meeting is held first)

How do I register to vote?
Voter Registration forms are available at the Town Clerk’s office.  You may also register at the Registry of Motor Vehicles when you transact any business.  Any state or federal agency can provide you with a voter registration form.

Who may register to vote?
Only a US citizen, resident of Massachusetts who will be 18 years old on or before an election.  You must register 20 days before an election or the annual town meeting and 10 days before a special town meeting. If you live in Precinct A,C or D, your poll location is the Great Barrington Fire Station on State Road. If you live in Precinct B, your polling location is the Housatonic Community Center on Main Street in the Village of Housatonic.

What is the purpose of the annual town census/street list?
Massachusetts General Laws require that cities and towns conduct an annual census of its residents as of January 1 of each year.  The local census is used to maintain voting and jury lists as well as aid in school enrollment projections, public safety and senior citizens’ needs and for certain privileges such as veterans’ benefits and proof of residency for state colleges and universities.  The census information does not register anyone to vote, but failure to answer the census may result in a voter’s name being removed from the voter’s list.

What must I do if I have changed my address since January 1 or since registering to vote?
If you have moved within the same town, notify the Town Clerk’s office in person or by calling 413-528-1619 x3 or by e-mail at If you have moved to a new town or city please notify the officials there and reregister to vote.  Your registration does not automatically follow you.

How do I license my dog?
Dog licenses are available in January of each year.  Proof of rabies vaccination and, if applicable, proof of spaying/neutering are required to obtain a license.  Licenses are available at the Town Clerk’s office.  The fee for an unaltered dog is $15.00 and for an altered on $5.00.

How do I obtain a marriage license?
Please see Marriage Information page or go to Citizen Information Service at

How do I obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death record?
Please see the Vital Records page or contact the Massachusetts Registry of Vital at 617-740-2600 or by e-mail at

Who must file a Business Certificate (DBA)?
Any person(s) conducting business in Great Barrington in a name other than the complete real name of the owner, whether individually or as a partnership.  Any corporation doing business in a name other than the corporate name (must be filed by a corporate officer).

How do I obtain a hunting/fishing license?
You must contact the area Division of Fisheries and Wildlife at 413-447-9789 or You may purchase licenses on line at

How do I apply for a raffle permit?
You may come into the office and pick up the forms or call and we will mail them to you. The fee is $10.00 and only non-profit organizations that have been in existence for a minimum of 2 years may apply.  The forms must be signed by the Chief of Police prior to being submitted to the Town Clerk’s office.