The Great Barrington Tree Committee was created by the Selectboard on 4/25/2011. The original incentive for creating this committee was to form a group of knowledgeable, interested citizens to contribute to decisions on the Main Street Renovation Project, which includes the removal and replacement of Town trees. The duties, mission and responsibilities of the committee are as follows:
- to review the existing public tree inventory.
- to develop, in conjunction with the Tree Warden , the DPW Superintendent and the Parks Commission, a tree maintenance program for public trees.
- to recommend modification to the existing tree inventory.
- to develop, in conjunction with the Tree Warden, the DPW Superintendent and the Parks Commission an acceptable species list for Town plantings.
- to apply for and maintain Tree City USA designation.
- to recommend appropriate by-laws dealing with the health, preservation and protection of public trees.
- to generate an annual report on the activities and the condition of Town trees.