The Town of Great Barrington (population about 7,000) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Town Clerk. Customer service skills and experience are a crucial element of the position. The individual chosen for this position will work closely with the Town Manager’s office and Selectboard, as well as numerous boards, committees and commissions.
Often considered the doorway to local government, the Town Clerk’s office serves as the central information point for residents and visitors alike. The Town Clerk serves in the following capacities:
- Chief Election Official
- Registrar of Vital Records
- Public Records Official
- Licensing Officer
- Oversees the polling place and the conduct of all elections and election-related activity
- Records all actions of Town Meetings
- Maintains the Municipal Code
- Maintains official meeting postings for town boards/committees/commissions
- Records oaths of office, appointments and resignations of all Town Officials
- Issues state and local licenses and permits, including marriage licenses, business licenses and renewals, dog licenses, raffle permits
- Provides certified requests for public documents
- Responds to inquiries from the public as well as from other departments, boards and committees
A more detailed description can be found here.
The successful applicant should possess strong language and reasoning skills. Knowledge of election procedures preferred. Strong interpersonal skills needed. Public sector experience preferred. Must be willing to attend courses through the Massachusetts Municipal Clerk’s Association.
Interested candidates may send a resume and cover letter to Helen Kuziemko, Town Manager’s Office, 334 Main Street, Great Barrington MA 01230 or, by email firstname.lastname@example.org, by 4:00 PM Friday, July 12, 2019.
The Town of Great Barrington provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.